Thursday, December 10, 2009

Men Arbeit hier ist gemacht

I knocked off another module for my teaching qual, after my mum read my blog and gave me a kick up the ass.  Hmph. Which means that I have one more subject to go. I am hoping that this last one won't take me as long as I managed to procrastinate on the last one for. In the end I chose a different topic because the SLA Theory I chose (Universal Grammar) was of no interest to me whatsoever. I went for Language Transfer which I have personal experience in and I found it much more relevant and interesting.

The thing is, I haven't had to write a proper essay with inline referencing and properly cited sources in ... probably 8 years! Blaaaah. It sucks. Have to admit I fudged a few books. I mean, who reads books anymore anyway? Everything's on the net right?

More Gym Classes

I tried a Pilates class in German with much more success in understanding what she was saying! My gym is awesome. Last week I watched Scrubs in German (just a little bit wrong) and then "Girls United" which is actually "Bring It On!". Almost made me want to stick around and do more rowing just to watch the rest of the movie in German. Yes, "cheeren" seems to be a German verb. 

Onto more exciting adventures. Like the Boat Party last night, which was on the Eastern Comfort.



They have language exchange parties every Wednesday night. At this party I met a couple of Germans (Carolin was particularly lovely and friendly) and even ran into some people I already know (the expat community is a small one apparently), Sam and Mahmoud. The renowned hommus was in fact quite good and they had free soup. Ahh, youth hostels. It was damn good soup (Tomato and Coconut... when you think about it, how easy is that? A can of coconut milk and a can of tomato soup.)

Some interesting german phrases I've picked up:

Ich mache ein Flakke - I'm making a flake. Kind of like "Let's make like a tree and leave"
Genau - pretty much the response to just about everything positive. Means "exactly"
Eislaufen!!! Ice skating
Nackt - naked
Ich kann es kaum erwarten - I can hardly wait
(These three are in no particular order, believe it or not)

Some german phrases I have used that I probably shouldn't have:

Ich bin offen fur alles: I am open for anything
Ich bin einfach: I am easy

Note to self: must get enough vocab to tell successfully the story about Dr. H and Tokyo. Did not quite work last night. What is "handmaiden" in German, anyway?


Fleen xo






No comments: